A Christmas Cavil
If a spirit could visit me tonight and take me to my Christmas past, it would certainly look quite different from my present Christmas. Much like Ebenezer's vision of his youth, mine would be one filled with treasured memories of joyous occasions.
Michael and I have cherished the years of celebrating advent with the boys. Every night in December we would gather around our Christmas tree and read the Bible, sing hymns and eat a special treat. After almost a month of nightly games, crafts, and stories, we would end our festivities with a thematic celebration on Christmas Day.
One year we had a Colonial Christmas. I cooked authentic food from the period with recipes from a cookbook from Williamsburg. The scent of homemade gingerbread and wassail still lingers in my memory.
Another year we celebrated Christmas around the World. I cooked delicacies from 12 different countries. Tamales, spanakopita, and figgy pudding filled our table and bellies.
Whatever the theme, we have always had a big tree, lots of gifts and plenty of food.
But this year, not so much.
I bought the boys a 99 cent Advent calendar from Trader Joe's. After we have our family devotion each evening, they get to pop a little piece of chocolate out of it.
We won't be putting our large Christmas tree up. This little table-top tree that I managed to put up yesterday will suffice.
There will be no theme this year, and Christmas dinner will be finger foods that my dad and I will buy from Sam's on Monday.
Oh, and presents... I have only bought one each for blood relatives only. I even sent two of those unwrapped with an apology note because I didn't have wrapping paper on hand nor did I have the spoons to go buy any.
And I won't be sending out Christmas cards this year, either. That is something that pains me... deeply. I LOVE Christmas cards and always try to make a special one for our family. I love getting picture cards from the people I love and so I like to do the same for others.
However, this year, there are no pretty pictures from the beach or interesting shots of special events. I just barely got school pictures taken of the boys last month... barely!
Unlike Mr. Scrooge, however, my present Christmas is not to be pitied. My home may lack the trimmings but it does not lack the joy of the season. The reason for the season is the Lord Jesus Christ, and He is our treasure and our joy. Eating, drinking and being merry are all done for His glory, so their absence is not as painful as you might think because He is not absent.
My Christmas future is not bleak, either. I am seeing small improvements which give me hope that chemo is working and that I will feel better soon. Lord willing, we will bring back revelry next year!
In the mean time, please know that my lack of spoons does not equal a lack of love for each of you. There is no card in the mail; however, you have a special place in my heart.
Thank you for your prayers.
Merry Christmas, friends!

Michael and I have cherished the years of celebrating advent with the boys. Every night in December we would gather around our Christmas tree and read the Bible, sing hymns and eat a special treat. After almost a month of nightly games, crafts, and stories, we would end our festivities with a thematic celebration on Christmas Day.
One year we had a Colonial Christmas. I cooked authentic food from the period with recipes from a cookbook from Williamsburg. The scent of homemade gingerbread and wassail still lingers in my memory.
Another year we celebrated Christmas around the World. I cooked delicacies from 12 different countries. Tamales, spanakopita, and figgy pudding filled our table and bellies.
Whatever the theme, we have always had a big tree, lots of gifts and plenty of food.
But this year, not so much.
I bought the boys a 99 cent Advent calendar from Trader Joe's. After we have our family devotion each evening, they get to pop a little piece of chocolate out of it.
We won't be putting our large Christmas tree up. This little table-top tree that I managed to put up yesterday will suffice.
There will be no theme this year, and Christmas dinner will be finger foods that my dad and I will buy from Sam's on Monday.
Oh, and presents... I have only bought one each for blood relatives only. I even sent two of those unwrapped with an apology note because I didn't have wrapping paper on hand nor did I have the spoons to go buy any.
And I won't be sending out Christmas cards this year, either. That is something that pains me... deeply. I LOVE Christmas cards and always try to make a special one for our family. I love getting picture cards from the people I love and so I like to do the same for others.
However, this year, there are no pretty pictures from the beach or interesting shots of special events. I just barely got school pictures taken of the boys last month... barely!
My Handsome 14-year-old
(Who's also amazing!)
Photo Credit: Chloe Virginia Photography
My Amazing 13-year-old
(Who's also handsome!)
Photo Credit: Chloe Virginia Photography
God is our refuge and strength, A very present help in trouble is our Christmas carol this year. (Psalm 46:1)
My Christmas future is not bleak, either. I am seeing small improvements which give me hope that chemo is working and that I will feel better soon. Lord willing, we will bring back revelry next year!
In the mean time, please know that my lack of spoons does not equal a lack of love for each of you. There is no card in the mail; however, you have a special place in my heart.
Thank you for your prayers.
Merry Christmas, friends!





Merry Christmas to my Favorite Lupie Friend!
ReplyDeleteYour Christmas carol is beautiful; nothing else is needed. We've had a string of Christmas seasons where all the "stuff" hasn't got done. Last year it was due to our extreme travel schedule, the year before that I had some medical issues that landed me in the emergency room and then bed for a week. I don't even remember what it was the year before that, but it's been several years since we've sent out cards. We did no decorating last year. So this year I wouldn't say I'm going all out, but I'm definitely enjoying the "stuff" a little more than I usually do. Some years you can, and some years you can't.
ReplyDeleteMerry Christmas, dear friend! ((((hugs))))