Update: Foggy Hays




Hi All,

I've had a terrible time blogging during the past few months. Lupus fog continues to cloud my thinking, and as a result, I struggle sometimes to find the right words.

Illustration: Earlier this week I went to a friend's house to teach her daughter flute. I stood at the backdoor for a minute or two looking around, trying to figure out how to announce my arrival. I know... knock on the door... duh. This, for some reason, seemed too complicated so I scanned the door and wall for a... whatchamacallit. Fortunately, Flute Student noticed me standing there looking dazed and confused and opened the door for me. Trying to explain my strange behavior, I said, "I couldn't find the... the... ding-donger, thingy. You know (miming pushing a button) the... the... door... BELL... DOORBELL. That's what it's called."

*forehead slap

This is a real dilemma for a writing teacher who has loved to write since the 1st grade. My first piece was a poem about how the earth applies her makeup in the spring. 6-year-old me had a better command of the English language than chemo me, it seems. Lol.

Despite my fogginess, though, I am making huge gains! I have so many reasons to praise the Lord along with a few new prayer requests, so that is how I will divide this post up.

Praises
  • My pain levels are WAY down. In fact, I didn't know how bad the pain was until I started to feel better.
  • I have not had a flare in months. I no longer have a walker by my bedside!
  • I am swimming 3 times per week. Even water exercises used to cause flares. I LOVE the water, and it feels so great to be able to exercise again.
  • I am not experiencing as many side effects from the chemo. I feel really queasy for a few hours after my shot and very tired the next day, but I feel really, really, really good the rest of the week.
  • I am not experiencing dizzy spells. I think I fixed this by drinking vitamin water. I felt faint at the grocery store one day and grabbed a bottle. I perked up in a few minutes and decided to drink more. Now, it's all I drink and I have much more energy and no dizziness! (The leucovorin my doctor prescribed for anemia is probably helping, too.)
  • All of my lupus-related rashes, except for one really stubborn one, are gone!
  • I was able to spend three days with my BFF before she moved to Pennsylvania. We had not spent time together in a year because I had been too sick to visit.
  • I think I am through the worst of it and feel like I have emerged from a long, dark, difficult period. I do not have adequate words to express how gracious God has been to me through this season. I have an even greater awareness of my need for him and his means of grace. I praise him for being my comfort and strength and for surrounding me with loving, caring, faithful, praying people.
Requests
  • My rheumatologist was thrilled to hear how much better I am feeling; however, my blood work still indicates high levels of inflammation. Because I feel better, he is not going to alter my treatment plan, but I have to continue chemo until the inflammation is under control.
  • I already mentioned the fog. It is the only real struggle I am experiencing right now. Pray that it will improve before school starts again.
  • Please remember that even though I am looking and feeling better, I still have lupus. There is no known cure for it, and I will have it for the rest of my life, unless God chooses to heal me. As long as auto-antibodies and inflammation are present, I am at-risk for many serious health issues. Please continue to pray for the protection of my vitals and for complete healing.
Thank you for your prayers.

And if you see me standing about in a fog, please ring the... uh... oh... you know... that thingy for me. ;-)


Photo Credit: https://www.pexels.com/photo/landscape-photography-of-mountains-covered-in-snow-691668/

Comments

  1. ((((hugs)))) So much wonderful news, but I will certainly keep praying! Hopefully, feeling better will give you a chance to rest and recharge over the summer, so you're ready to go for the new school year. Praising God He got you through that difficult last year -- I don't know how else you could have done it. Love you, dear!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts