Not Nearly as Bad

Ok, phew!

This week was nowhere near as bad as the previous week.

My Spidey senses dissipated. I was still a bit sensitive to smell, but my dear Michael did not have to eat outside in the cold. And that was a good thing considering how very cold it was! Brrr....

I could not get warm this week, and we contemplated a move to Costa Rica.

No joke!

While at home, with the central heat on, I wore multiple layers, stayed under an electric blanket, and kept a space heater pointed directly toward me. Still shivering, I stuck the heating pad behind my back. I drank A LOT of hot tea, too. I don't know if I was so cold because of chemo, though, or just because my southern blood is far too delicate and genteel for such harsh weather. My prayers were with all of you who experienced subzero temps, snow and ice.

As normal, I still experienced some nausea, headache and insomnia, however, only for a couple of days. None of those side effects were nearly as troublesome as they were last week. I am so thankful!

I can also report that the results from my blood work were as good as can be expected. It's too early in the process to see auto-immune improvements; however, the lab results did not indicate that chemo is causing more problems than it is solving. That is all the best news possible at this stage in the game.

And... I cannot begin to explain how much of a help the meals have been.

SUCH A BIG, HUGE HELP!

I also cannot thank those of you who have sent them our way enough.

For one thing, they have lifted morale over here. The way to a man's heart is most assuredly through his stomach, and the men in this house feel rather loved. They have been elated to have fresh, home cooking and not burnt offerings back on the dinner table. Ben and Brian particularly love those of you who sent cake. ;-)

Sending cake = friend for life!

The timing of meal deliveries has been perfect for me, too. Sunday is the first day after chemo that I feel like having something more to eat than soup and crackers. It has been hard for me to look at food on Sundays long enough to prepare something for us to eat, so I have had a liquid diet for the past several weeks. It has not given me the strength I need to work past the side effects and get on with life. Having a meal brought to me on Sunday was just the care I needed. Thank you!

On Wednesday, I was completely spent after co-op. My energy levels are way down, generally speaking, and even though the side effects are gone by Monday or Tuesday, I still struggle to get it all done before my spoons are used up. Though I love teaching my classes, Wednesdays take a lot from me. Coming home to a prepared meal was like finding a pot of gold at the end of the rainbow.

The other changes I made last week seemed to really help, too. I won't write anymore about that just yet and will tell you more in next week's update.

Despite all this good news, I still have a long way to go, so please continue to pray for strength and healing.

Your support means the world to me. So, one last time, thank you, thank you, and thank you again! If I had all the time in the world to write and you all the time in the world to read, there is much more I could say. You would be amazed by how your blessing my family has contributed to my personal care and my family's happiness. You would praise God for how that care has multiplied and overflowed into the lives of others.

Maybe we'll have time for those stories later, but for now, I'll just stick to thank you.

Love,

Comments

  1. Awesome news! So glad you have so many people loving on you guys and that there is so much to be thankful for this week!

    Now, just a silly side note: I hurt my back a few weeks ago (nothing major, was fine within a couple of days) and dug out a heating pad that I saved from the donate pile when my dad was moving. I was shocked to read all the warnings on the dumb thing, like don't place behind your back. I thought that was ridiculous - what else are you going to use it for?! So I ignored the warnings, and (sure enough) even though I had it on the lowest setting I got a pretty nasty burn on my back that is still healing! So be careful with that heating pad. ; )

    Praising God for your good week! (((hugs)))

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh dear. I have always ignored those warnings but will be more careful. I crank it up as high as it goes and sit on it. That can't be good. :-)

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts