I just can't take it anymore.
Methotrexate, that is.
I called my rheumy earlier this week to report the "minor" problems I was having. It turns out those problems weren't so minor after all.
My digestive system cannot handle the methotrexate. I've been told to stop the meds immediately! We're going to have to bypass my delicate system in order for this treatment to be successful.
That means a weekly injection!
That I have to administer myself!!
Eek!!!
I get a two-week reprieve, however, to give the oral meds a chance to "get out of my system." I won't post again during that time. Here is how you can pray for me in the meantime:
I am really thankful for the outpouring of kindness from so many of you! Thank you! There have been gifts, cards, emails, and offers to help. Some of you have even welcomed the boys at your home which I really appreciate. They are both mature enough to take care of themselves and help me out here at the casita. However, it is really nice for them to take a break from having a sick mom and just get to be teens and have some fun. I really, really appreciate you all!
And because many of you reading this have kids in my co-op classes, I want to make sure you know what an incredible group of kids you have and how very much I LOVE them! I know you are worried about me and wonder if Wednesdays are too much for me. IF I had to work hard to maintain order, yes, it would be. If we started the day early, it would be impossible for me to continue. However, I am able to sleep in before I go and to make modifications for the teacher. My students are all very helpful and a delight to teach, and it gives me one afternoon per week that I feel like I'm doing something other than being sick.
I do have to sleep in and take an extra nap on Thursday. ;) But, it is worth the expended energy. :)
Thank you for your prayers. I will post a reminder to pray before I start the injections.
Dawn
I called my rheumy earlier this week to report the "minor" problems I was having. It turns out those problems weren't so minor after all.
My digestive system cannot handle the methotrexate. I've been told to stop the meds immediately! We're going to have to bypass my delicate system in order for this treatment to be successful.
That means a weekly injection!
That I have to administer myself!!
Eek!!!
I get a two-week reprieve, however, to give the oral meds a chance to "get out of my system." I won't post again during that time. Here is how you can pray for me in the meantime:
- Pray that the med I took orally will work through quickly and that the allergic reaction will stop soon. I have been unable to eat much of anything for over a week now.
- Pray for my energy levels. I have been very weak and have slept about 12-15 hours per day. One day, I woke up at my normal time and an hour and half later I had to take a nap. That afternoon, I had to take ANOTHER nap.
- Pray for my dizziness. This is a normal side effect of the meds but it has probably been compounded by a lack of food. I did lose my balance several times this week and fell once.
I am really thankful for the outpouring of kindness from so many of you! Thank you! There have been gifts, cards, emails, and offers to help. Some of you have even welcomed the boys at your home which I really appreciate. They are both mature enough to take care of themselves and help me out here at the casita. However, it is really nice for them to take a break from having a sick mom and just get to be teens and have some fun. I really, really appreciate you all!
And because many of you reading this have kids in my co-op classes, I want to make sure you know what an incredible group of kids you have and how very much I LOVE them! I know you are worried about me and wonder if Wednesdays are too much for me. IF I had to work hard to maintain order, yes, it would be. If we started the day early, it would be impossible for me to continue. However, I am able to sleep in before I go and to make modifications for the teacher. My students are all very helpful and a delight to teach, and it gives me one afternoon per week that I feel like I'm doing something other than being sick.
I do have to sleep in and take an extra nap on Thursday. ;) But, it is worth the expended energy. :)
Thank you for your prayers. I will post a reminder to pray before I start the injections.
Dawn

Comments
Post a Comment